Eligibility Requirements

Eligibility requirements for all applicants

There are specific requirements you need to meet depending on where you are when you apply for your work permit.

But regardless of where you apply or which type of work permit you apply for, you must

  • prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires
  • show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada and enough money to return home
  • obey the law and have no record of criminal activity (you may be asked to provide  a police clearance certificate)
  • not be a danger to Canada’s security
  • be in good health and have a medical exam, if needed
  • not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions
  • not plan to work for an employer who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages; and
  • give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country

Eligibility requirements if you apply from outside Canada

Anyone can apply before they enter Canada. However, there may be visa office requirements that you need to meet depending on what country or territory you’re applying from. Make sure you follow the instructions for how to apply.

Find out if you can benefit from the Global Skills Strategy’s two-week application processing.

Eligibility requirements if you apply from inside Canada

You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

  • you have a valid study or work permit
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parents have a valid study or work permit
  • you’re eligible for a post-graduation work permit and your study permit is still valid
  • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more
  • you’re waiting on a decision on an application for permanent residence from inside Canada
  • you made a claim for refugee protection
  • you’ve been recognized as a convention refugee or protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
  • you’re allowed to work in Canada without a work permit, but you need a work permit to work in a different job (this does not apply to business visitors); or
  • you’re a trader, investor, intra-company transferee or professional under the Canada – United States – Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).

Eligibility requirements if you apply when you enter Canada at a Port of Entry (POE)

You should apply for your work permit before you travel to Canada.

However, you can apply for a work permit when you enter Canada if you’re eligible.

To apply at a Port of Entry (POE), you must be:

There are other requirements depending on the type of work permit you’re applying for.

Click here to submit an addition/edit to this page

Last Modified: September 22, 2021