Getting Started: Your First Month
You’ve arrived – now what? After preparation, farewells and travel to get here, it can be overwhelming to decide what to do upon arrival in Cape Breton.
If you’re coming from outside of Canada, Your First Two Weeks in Canada, created by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), will help you get ready to settle in. It explains some of the things you might want to consider during your first days in Canada to help make the transition easier.
Here are a few other resources that might be especially useful in your early days in Cape Breton:
- Government Services
- Service Canada provides a single point of access to a wide variety of government programs and benefits. Here you can apply to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN), a Canadian passport, search the Federal Job Bank, and much more.
- Access Nova Scotia is the provincial agency that offers many services, such as a Driver’s Licence application, Marriage Licence and information for starting and registering a business, among others.
- Housing – Click here for information on finding permanent and/or temporary housing solutions and resources.
- Libraries – The Cape Breton Regional Library has 12 twelve branches across Cape Breton Regional Municipality (CBRM) and Victoria County. The Eastern Counties Regional Library has five branches along the east side of Cape Breton within the Municipalities of the Counties of Inverness, Richmond and the Town of Port Hawkesbury. Our local libraries offer various supports, language programs and, of course, book rentals.
- Public Transportation – There are a number of public transportation options that exist in different communities across the Island. Click here to learn more.
- Cape Breton Job Board – The Cape Breton Job Board helps connect employers and job-seekers, offering both the opportunity to create an account and see local employment opportunities.
- Visitor Information Centres – There are several Visitor Information Centres across Cape Breton Island. While these centres of information primarily target tourists, newcomers will find useful information and friendly local staff as well.
- Helpful Phone Numbers
Last Modified: October 4, 2021