Major Grocery Stores
There are several major chain grocery stores across the Island. These include Co-ops, Sobeys, Atlantic SuperStore, Foodland, No Frills, Walmart, and more. Many of these stores provide online ordering and curbside pickup and delivery options.
Visiting a Farmer’s Market in your community is a terrific way to explore your new home and discover the exciting products created and grown by your neighbours and local farmers. There are many markets across the Island, all on different days of the week. Please note many of these markets are seasonal.
- Cape Breton Farmers’ Market
- Mabou Farmers’ Market
- Ross Ferry Farmers’ Market
- Chéticamp Market
- Baddeck Farmers’ Market
- Isle Madame Public Market
- Louisbourg Farmers’ Market
- Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia
Cape Breton Island Food Network
The Island Food Network (IFN) supports food initiatives, cultivates food knowledge, connects food leaders, and advocates for food systems change. In 2020, after a deep engagement process, the IFN launched a Shared Food Vision for Cape Breton-Unama’ki.
Cape Breton Food Hub
The Cape Breton Food Hub is an online source for local produce. It offers hundreds of items, from locally grown beef and vegetables to freshly baked bread and kombucha. This weekly home delivery service provides quality products from dozens of Cape Breton farmers and producers.
Specialty Food Stores
Many of the grocery stores have an “international food” section. Here are some smaller specialty stores across Cape Breton-Unama’ki:
- Bay Health Food – Glace Bay
- Brook Village Grocery – Brook Village
- Charlene’s Nutrition – Sydney
- Doucette’s Market – Ingonish
- East Bay Country Market – East Bay
- Elena’s Asian Market – Sydney
- Green Sprouts Natural Foods – Port Hawkesbury
- Jacky’s Asian Store – Port Hawkesbury
- M&Y Asian Grocery – Sydney
- Mian’s Indian Grocery – Sydney
- Peck’s Grocery – Louisbourg
- Port City Grocery – Sydney
Food Banks & Community Kitchens
A number of organizations throughout the Island provide food banks and/or similar services where they collect and distribute foods to residents in need. You can find a substantial list here.
Last Modified: October 1, 2021