Temporary Permits

It is likely you will need a work permit before you begin working in Canada. There are a number of different forms of temporary permits to work or study in Canada. 

Study Permit

Study permits allow foreign nationals to study at Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit. You will need to be enrolled at a DLI before you can apply for a study permit. 

Find out if you need a study permit and if you’re eligible

Work Permit

There are various kinds of work permits depending on your situation, including International Experience Canada, the Temporary Foreign Worker program, and spousal work permits. Ensure you visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to find out if you need a work permit. 

Some types of work permits are below. This list may not be inclusive. 

Click here to submit an addition/edit to this page

Last Modified: July 19, 2021